Yama Glass 3 Cup Tabletop Siphon (Syphon) (Alcohol Burner)
This Yama Glass 3 Cup Tabletop Vacpot Coffee Syphon is a unique kind of brewer. Akin to something in a scientific laboratory, the vacuum style brewer is as much a conversation piece as it is a quality coffee brewer. This Yama Glass Vacpot Siphon Brewer ships with the alcohol burner/warmer, which is used to heat the water in the brewing process. The 3 cup size specification refers to the Yama cup size, which measures to about 3-4 ounces per cup.
WARNING: USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN HEATING WITH AN OPEN FLAME
Directions for use:
- Use a slightly finer grind of coffee, somewhere around "auto drip" however you may experiment to taste.
- Drop the washable, reusable cloth covered filter into the infusion chamber with the chain hanging down into the glass siphon tube. Pull the chain down until you can hook it to the bottom of the siphon tube.
- Fill the bottom carafe to the 5 mark with hot water and place 5 measuring spoons of coffee in top chamber.
- Fill the burner with alcohol, light the burner and place directly beneath the bottom water carafe. The water takes about 4 minutes or longer to heat. Using hot water will speed up the process.
- Once the water reaches boiling temperatures the majority of the water is siphoned through the glass tube, past the filter and into the top chamber holding the ground coffee. Keeping the burner lit and under water carafe allow about 2 minutes to brew.
- After your 2 minutes is up remove and cap the alcohol burner (heat source).
- Once the coffee starts to cool the liquid is siphoned back down into the bottom carafe. Remove the top, placing it in its convertible lid/stand, and bring the pot to the table for serving.
- Gently rock the upper carafe back and forth until it can easily be removed and placed into it's stand.
- Serve and enjoy your fresh great tasting coffee.
Although Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol which is available at all drug stores can be used in the alcohol burner, Denatured Alcohol which can be purchased most hardware stores will burn hotter and help heat the water quicker.
Check out DaveW's Flickr feed to follow our EspressoParts adventure brewing with the Yama 5 Cup Tabletop Vacpot.
For more information Mark Prince has provided an excellent FAQ on Coffee Vacpots on Coffeekid.com